The Subaru Impreza ‘Series McRae’
In 1994 the late Colin McRae was the 1st British Driver to win the RAC Rally since 1976. Following this unforgettable victory Subaru released a very Special Edition of the Impreza, named the Series McRae.
The main improvements over the standard model were :
– Recaro sports front seats with open headrests with Series McRae motifs
– Seats and door panelling retrimmed in Recaro Le Mans/Avus material
– Interior numbered Series McRae plaque
– 6.5 x 16 inch eight spoke gold Speedline Safari alloy wheels
– Pirelli P Zero 205/50 ZR 16 low profile tyres
– Side and rear Series McRae decals
– Factory fitted electric tilt and slide sunroof
– Special mica blue paintwork
– On the road price was £22,999
Optional PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) This increased engine performance and the BHP figure was increased to around 240BHP
200 of these Series McRae Impreza’s were produced between 1995 and 1996 and roughly half of these still exist.
Colin McRae’s personal Series McRae is still owned by the McRae family and gets used at certain events. We were very honoured to have this car attend the both the 2011 & 2015 McRae Weekender Events and the car led the convoy of Subaru’s through the stunning sights of North Wales on the Saturdays Tour. A big thank you to the McRae family!
Every car built was identical with the same wheels, same colour paint and same interior but of course many options were available at the time. Some of
the options included alternative PIAA driving lamps and a Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP)
Even though all 200 cars were built to be identical, the first 100 cars are ever so slightly different to the second
hundred but it takes a real spotter to notice these minor changes! Do you know?
BBC Top Gear’s Tiff Needell Tested this car and the video can be seen by clicking on the following link.